Re: ``struct location''

On Monday, July 8, 2002, at 10:59  PM, Andrew Cagney wrote:

Hello,

This is a hunch.

I think there should be a ``struct location'' object to go with the ``struct type'' object. The ``struct value'' object would then be made of, the TYPE, LOCATION and, once the value has been read from memory, its VALUE.

This would make it possible for location expression evaluators and similar (e.g., unwind functions describing register locations) to return a ``location'' without any need to refer to types.

Having the location as an abstraction would also make it possible for GDB's ``location'' code to evolve independantly of the ``struct value'' - this is something we know we need since at present GDB can't describe things like values with a location that spreads across multiple registers and memory.

thoughts?

Were you gone during April (seriously)?
Check the mailing list archives.

The whole loc_computed patch I submitted was the result of a discussion on how to do this.

that's what the struct location_funcs are meant to do.

"
/* A structure of function pointers describing the location of a
variable, structure member, or structure base class.
"
Andrew