Using debug_tree and debug_rtx from gdb

Hello everyone,
I am using Gcc 2.96 and Redhat 7.2. I would like to
look at tree structures (IR) and rtx output using
debug_rtx and debug_tree from within GDB.
I have written small test programs which I am using to
look at these outputs.
I have placed the .gdbinit file which contains the
definitions for calling debug_tree and debug_rtx in
the current directory of the programs. But when I
invoke these commands from GDB, it gives me this
message:
(gdb) pt ptr
No symbol "debug_tree" in current context

Am I doing something wrong? How does one go about
using debug_rtx and debug_tree from within GDB? Any
help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks!