Re: gdb retargetting

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 11:05:14AM -0500, Rick Richardson wrote:

> Maybe someone can help me, maybe not.  Here's the deal:
>
> 1) I retargetted binutils to support a new processor.  I started with
>    binutils-2.12.1 from the GNU ftp site.  That work is complete.
>
> 2) I grabbed gdb-5.2.1 and merged the gdb directories with my now-modified
>    binutils tree.  This meant I just copied the gdb, malloc, readline, sim,
>    and utils directories from the gdb tree to the combined tree.
>
> 3) As a check that everything is buildable in the combined tree, I
>    configured for i386 (default) on linux, and did a "make".  I wanted
>    to make sure that I started from a buildable tree before I hack on
>    the gdb and sim directories to support the new processor.
>
> 4) Everything built fine until it got to gdb/gdbserver.  It exploded
>    compiling utils.c:
>
>         In file included from utils.c:22:
>         server.h:37:25: gdb/signals.h: No such file or directory
>
> 5) No question, there is no gdb/signals.h included in the gdb-5.2.1.tar.gz
>    file that I got from ftp.gnu.org.  Nor is there one in gdb-5.2.tar.gz.
>
> What gives?  I'm beginning to suspect that nobody compiles the
> snapshots on the GNU ftp site.  Should I have started from some other
> snapshots?  I'm completely learing of basing off of "the tip" of the
> CVS tree, as I have no idea when that is stable.  So I thought basing
> off of the GNU snapshots would be the way to go.

The file is there.  It's in gdb-5.2/include/gdb/signals.h in this
snapshot.  The include directory is shared between the two projects;
different directories are included in different releases, and if you're
going to try to combine two releases other than the two current trunk
snapshots, you're on your own to do the merging.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz