Re: RFC: Two small remote protocol extensions

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> > On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> >

> >> Lets get rid of the easy one (...) `Hg':
> >>
> >> ``
> >>
> >> @item @code{Hg}@var{id} --- set general thread
> >> @cindex @code{Hc} packet
> >>
> >> Select the general thread.  Register and memory read and write
> >> operations apply to the most recently selected general thread.
>

> > ????? Memory is shared between threads, isn't it so ????
>
> The above reflects GDB's current behavour (logical or not).

This is yet another long overdue problem (I had hope it was fixed in
recent releases) -  gdb lumps together mult-process
debugging with multi-tread debugging and it it does not
excell in any of them.

It seems to me that we have to handle multi-process debugging a-la
vxWorks with a separate gdb instance per process and thus forget about it.

> When reading or writing memory, gdb specifies a thread.  If it turns out
> that the thread disappeared, GDB picks a thread, any thread (the
> assumption being that all address spaces are pretty much similar).
>
> Mind you, I've seen thread implementations that implemented per-thread
> local data using VM.

It does not mean that everybody else should suffer, it is time to fix
this youthful indiscretion.

> enjoy,
> Andrew

Thanks,