Re: struct environment

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002 13:32:00 -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> said:
> On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 10:27:58AM -0700, Per Bothner wrote:
>> David Carlton wrote:

>>> One interesting thing that's going on is that the classes in question
>>> are all apparently "dynamically loaded".

>> Yes.  This code date back the the very early days of gcj, when we
>> were basing it on the Kaffe run-time, which was JIT-based.  Even
>> the days it is possible for a class to be generated on-the-fly, or
>> loaded from a .jar file containing bytecodes.  Such a class will
>> not have dwarf or other static symbols.  So this was an attempt to
>> extract the type information from a class from the run-time type
>> information for a class instead of or in addition to the static
>> symbols.

Thanks for the info.

> OK.  At this point, then, I think the thing to do is ignore the Java
> dynamic loading for now.

I'd prefer to handle the Java stuff instead of ignore it.  It should
only take an hour or two of work: it's pretty clean, so it should just
involve adding one simple variant of struct environment and futzing
with symtab.free_ptr slightly.  (Which seems to currently only be used
in this specific situation, admittedly a bit of a space waste...)

Certainly if I were looking for pieces of code to ignore over the
course of this process, mdebugread.c would be a much higher priority
for me...

David Carlton
carlton@math.stanford.edu