Re: Apple's Objective-C language patch

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 11:49:11PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:

Believe it or not, very recently added to my things to do today list is to get an answer to the question: can a third party take random Apple/GDB sources and contribute them to the FSF.

Speaking for all of Apple as its duly appointed representative in
all things gdb related (heh heh), I declare yes!  Yes, I tell you!
I know. and I believe this was was the likely intent. Just need to check that this is what Apple actually signed up to -> I need to ask a lawyer with the actual paper work in front of them to give a nod.

This doesn't stop you creating a new tarball and/or similar.

Seriously though, we've got a blanket assignment on file at the
FSF for gcc and gdb, and the only reason the code isn't getting
submitted is because of time being spent on other activities by
the two Apple gdb developers.

If there are contributors who want to help but don't want to mess
with Apple's anoncvs server I'd be willing to tar up another copy
of our sources (Klee merged it just a couple weeks ago with the
FSF sources), but this isn't the sort of thing I'd want to do on
a frequent basis..

Jason

PS- if that third party developer does do nonobvious/nontrivial
changes to the patches to get them approved in FSF-gdb, I'd imagine
the third party developer would technically need an FSF assignment
on file before they could be accepted.
Yes. This is why both Adam (objective-c) and Aidan (Ada) have an FSF assignment.

Andrew