Re: struct environment

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:26:38 -0400, Andrew Cagney <ac131313@ges.redhat.com> said:

> Just BTW, is there another name?  ``environment'' can also refer to
> the processes environment as seen in the existing environ.[hc] code.

How about 'dictionary'?  It seems to me that the idea of looking up a
variable name to find out the information contained in its symbol
isn't too different from the idea of looking up a word to find out its
meaning.

I looked through the GDB sources, and it doesn't seem to be used
widely elsewhere, and even when it's used it's only used informally.
The main place where it's used is that infttrace has an important
static struct called 'memory_page_dictionary'; but, as naming
conflicts go, that's quite minimal.

David Carlton
carlton@math.stanford.edu