Re: how to use libgdb ?

For a background see:

http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/papers/libgdb2/
http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/papers/libgdb

(I've also added, slightly edited, one of the more legendary Cygnus Internal white papers which is where MI came from.)

The point is that there will never be a stable ABI.  Speaking just for
myself, I don't want a hack like this that we can never support.  We
have a machine interface - MI - and it should give you everything you
need; if you think communication with GDB has any performance
implications, you need to think about it a little more.  If you think
there are functionality gains from bypassing MI then MI should be
extended.
Yes.

Given that Apple has proven that MI can be made to work, I don't see benefit in adding (and hence implicitly supporting) yet another interface. Remember, MI is documented and *tested*, you'll not get that with some sort of internal ABI.

It is also very important keep in mind that directly linking GDB to an application is not some sort of performance silver bullet. It isn't. Too many other factors influence GDB/GUI performance - screen refresh overhead, target step performance, cost of a stack unwind, even system load, ...

Having said this, there is a very long term goal of implementing all MI and CLI commands using functions of the form gdb_<mi-command-name>(). That, however, is very very long term (finished around '10?). At present there are to many internal architectural problems to address.

Andrew