Re: Getting the i386 watchpoints into the taget vector?

> Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 19:51:53 -0400
> From: Andrew Cagney <ac131313@ges.redhat.com>
>
> GDB can implement watchpoints, for a remote target, using two mechanism:
>
> - sending the remote target the watchpoint request (the Z packet) and
> let the remote target implement the details
>
> - manipulate the h/w watchpoint registers directly, sending the remote
> target register read/write operations - what I believe i386-nat.c does.

It doesn't really matter, IMHO, which way we choose to go.  What is
important is that we provide in GDB a module that can be used by i386
targets, either native or remote, and that this module has the same
machinery that is now implemented for native i386 debugging.  To wit,
the replica of the machine debug registers should be maintained by
that module, and it should use reference counts to allow sharing of
debug registers between different watchpoints.

In other words, if we go the first way, target ends should not need
to invent the implementation, but instead should call functions in a
module supplied as part of the GDB sources.