Re: carlton_dictionary-branch

On 24 Sep 2002 22:42:51 -0500, Jim Blandy <jimb@redhat.com> said:
> David Carlton <carlton@math.stanford.edu> writes:

>> I've created a new branch off of the GDB sources, called
>> carlton_dictionary-branch.  This will be a place where I can play
>> around with updating the way symbol lookup happens (with the
>> eventual goal of adding proper C++ namespace support), shielded
>> from the piercing eyes of the symbol table maintainers.

> There is no escape:

> zenia:jimb$ freshen $DDict
> freshening /home/jimb/cygnus/src/sourceware/gdb/carlton_dictionary/src:
> U src/gdb/CONTRIBUTE
> U src/gdb/COPYING
> U src/gdb/ChangeLog
> U src/gdb/ChangeLog-1990

Curse you, Jim Blandy!  As penance, I sentence you to rewriting
mdebugread.c.

Though, actually, now is a pretty good time to look at things: I think
I've basically finished converting struct block over to using
dictionaries (and had checked it in late yesterday afternoon, so
that's probably the version you checked out).  I haven't finished
running the full testsuite, just a subset of it that I was using for
fast refactoring testing, but I think it's probably okay.  It needs
some cleaning up (some of the old code is still there but #if'd out,
and I should add some comments explaining what to do to add a new
representation to dictionary.c or a new operation to existing
representations), and it reeks of being C code written by somebody
who's spent too much time programming in C++ recently (struct
dict_vtbl is a new addition), but it should be straightforward enough.

David Carlton
carlton@math.stanford.edu