Re: GDB PR categories

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:05:29 -0400, Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com> said:

>> If you're going to create so many categories, how about one for
>> each debugging format as well?

> I think it might confuse things.  The only way the average user is
> going to spot a symtab bug is by GDB printing out:

> 	internal-error: symtab.c: .....
> :-)

That's a good point, and one that I hadn't considered.  Having said
that, the categories are more for our benefit, not for users'
benefits, so as long as we don't mind moving PR's to an appropriate
category once they've been analyzed, then debugging format-specific
categories could be useful.

But probably in practice there would be few enough such bugs that
having a generic 'symtab' category is good enough.

> (BTW, anyone know the story with ``-'' in categories.  I think
> fernando indicated that it wasn't valid but the online docs
> (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/ uses that in the examples.)

Wasn't Fernando complaining about "-" in categories for the testsuite?
Something about argument passing and runtest?

Though now that I look at the actual thread, I'm confused.

David Carlton
carlton@math.stanford.edu