Re: libremote status?

OTOH, according to the comment blocks at the start of every file you are releasing it under the GPL. Doesn't that mean that it can be incorporated into other GPL'ed projects pretty much without additional restriction? I obviously son't understand the issues here...

In general, yes; GNU projects, no.  Remember the oft-mentioned
copyright assignment forms?  It's FSF policy (usually) that the FSF
hold copyright on the entire source base of a GNU project like GDB.
It's also sufficiently important for me to spend months (ongoing) slowly getting the (C) of the sim/ directory transfered to the FSF.

It's a reasonable policy; it gives the FSF close control over licensing
issues and centralizes copyright defense if it should become necessary. I believe those are the reasons.

[And I want to apologize again to Chris and others for my tone in that
quote; I do really appreciate the work they've done to get this project
released to the community.]
Look on the bright side. At least you can now see what the devil I'm rambling on about when I say how GDB should be layered and modula and the target vector should be stackable. FSF (C) or not, that code couldn't be pulled into GDB proper (it would be equivalent to a HP merge .... :-( ), however, the experience gained can certainly be applied to GDB.

Andrew