Problems debugging programs with shared libraries

Greetings,

I am encountering a problem when I try to use gdb with programs that are
linked with shared libraries not included in the /etc/ld.so.conf
file. When I run ldd on the executable, all the shared libraries show up
with locations assigned to them. If I now run:

	gdb Program
        gdb> run

I get an error that gdb could find the shared library. If I now put the
directory in /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig, gdb now finds the shared
library. The directory is included in LD_LIBRARY_PATH, this is how ldd
found it.

I am running on a Linux machine with RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.9-34 with
gdb verison 5.2. I have also seen this problem on other versions of
RedHat, and suspect that there is something strange about the local
configuration. I am also running amd, but have tried putting the shared
library on a local disk and modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately;
still no luck.

Does anyone know the cause, and hopefully the solution, of this problem?

	Thanks,
	doug

   Doug Johnson                    email: drjohn@pizero.colorado.edu
   B390, Duane Physics             (303)-492-4506 Office
   Boulder, CO 80309               (303)-492-5119 FAX
   In the beginning there was nothing, Then nothing turned inside out
   and became something. When will you turn yourself inside out?