Re: STEP and CONTINUE in GDB REMOTE

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 03:38:05PM +0100, Jan Van Belle wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 03:24:03PM +0100, Jan Van Belle wrote:
> > >         Hello all,
> > >
> > >         I'm struggling with the Remote Protocol (over TCP, but I guess
> > > that doesn't matter). For the moment I can download my code
> > > onto the (not yet existing --> virtual) target, read registers, write
> > > registers, read code and write code.
> > >
> > > So now I arrived for the big job: STEP (single or not) and CONTINUE. The
> > > manual says you have many possibilities to
> > > indicate the target has stopped. For the moment I use: $S05#xx , but
> > > this is just a stub to satisfy GDB.
> > >
> > > Can someone explain me (or point me to a good description) the syntax of
> > > 'all' the possible responses??
> > > --> $Txxx:yyyy#zzz
> > > --> $Wxxx#yyy
> > > --> $Sxxx#yyy
> > > --> ...
> > >
> > > It would be a great help (for me and many others ;-) )
> >
> > Have you read the chapter detailing the remote protocol, in the fine
> > manual?
> >
> > http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_32.html#SEC630
> >
> > It's in D.3.
> >
> > --
> > Daniel Jacobowitz
> > MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer
>
> Yes I have. I have a copy printed out on my desk. This document explains us
> which possible responses there are,
> but not when to send which one, and certainly not what the contents should be
> for
>
> TAAn...:r...;n...:r...;n...:r...;
>
> I already did several Google's for this topic, but I guess I'll have to find
> it in someone's private collection

The explanation of T isn't the clearest...

SAA: stop with signal AA
TAA: stop with signal AA, and return the values of registers that we
     know will be queried, or other information:

n... = register number (hex), r... = target byte ordered register
contents, size defined by REGISTER_RAW_SIZE;

n... = `thread', r... = thread process ID, this is a hex integer;

n... = (`watch' | `rwatch' | `awatch', r... = data address, this is a hex integer;

n... = other string not starting with valid hex digit. GDB should ignore this n...,
r... pair and go on to the next.

NAA is obsolete and Oxx is... frowned upon.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz