psymtab/symtab error

Gentlepeople,

I've been wading all over the guts of gdb for most of today, trying to
track down the cause of this message:

(gdb)  info addr CFreeList<CVolume>::m_base
Internal: global symbol `_ZN9CFreeListI7CVolumeE6m_baseE' found in iSCSIInit.cpp psymtab but not in symtab.
_ZN9CFreeListI7CVolumeE6m_baseE may be an inlined function, or may be a template function
(if a template, try specifying an instantiation: _ZN9CFreeListI7CVolumeE6m_baseE<type>).
(gdb)  info addr CFreeList<CVolume>::m_base
Symbol "_ZN9CFreeListI7CVolumeE6m_baseE" is static storage at address 0x4000dcf4.
(gdb)

I get this simply by invoking gdb and loading the symbol table of the
image in question (a large RTOS application).

I dove deep into the guts of symbol table processing without getting
particularly enlightened.  As a guess, perhaps the problem is that
this symbol is entered into the symtab in its friendly form?

The curious part is that (as shown above) reissuing the offending
command makes it work right, i.e., the symbol is actually entered in
the various gdb tables correctly so it can be found on the second
attempt.

I'm using gdb from the 5.3 branch, as of 9/30/02.  Any hints?

    paul