Re: [RFA] Add stabs entries for coalesced symbols.

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Klee Dienes wrote:

> I suspect there may be a better place to "Relocatable Symbol Blocks"
> section of the TeXinfo file, but I wasn't able to find it

I don't see anything wrong with your choice, but then I'm not a stabs
expert.  If someone thinks that another place is better, please speak up.

Your patch is approved, with the following comments/requests:

  +@node Relocatable Symbol Blocks
  +@section Relocatable Symbol Blocks

Please add a @cindex entry here for "relocatable symbol blocks".

  +On Mac OS X, a @dfn{coalesced symbol} is a true definition of a symbol
  +that may appear one or more times in the compilation units generated
  +by the compiler.

It is generally a good idea to have a @cindex entry for each term you put
inside a @dfn.  The logic is that if the term is important enough to have
it stand out in the manual, someone will want to find its description
quickly; using index-search facilities of Info readers is just the way to
do that.

Also, are coalesced symbols a MacOS-only feature, or are they supported
(or can reasonably be expected to be supported in the future) on other
platforms?  If the former, I think we should tell right at the start of
this section that the information pertains only to the Mac.

  +The static link editor allows multiple definitions of a coalesced
  +symbol without any warnings or errors. The static link editor outputs
                                        ^^^
Please make sure there are exactly 2 spaces after each period that ends a
sentence.  This is important for TeX to typeset the printed version in a
pleasant way.

  +@item 0x2e N_BNSYM
  +Start of a relocatble symbolblock; see @ref{Relocatable Symbol Blocks}.
This should be "symbol block", I think.