Re: Final separate debug info patch

Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> writes:

> Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > That makes sense to me. Uli? Is this ok with you?
>
> I don't know.  I imagine that strip is used like this in the build root
> for the distribution.  By preserving the entire path lots on unusable
> information is leaked and distributed.  This is true for many situations.
>
> Unless somebody can provide a really good reason why the entire path is
> needed I rather not change anything.

Well, my motivating case is a GDB test script that copies the
executable elsewhere.  At the moment, I can just override the
compilation procedure in the target board file and run the entire GDB
test suite against separated executables without modifying any of the
test scripts.  Except for this one test.  Now, if strip kept an
absolute path when it was given one, and GDB used it, then copying the
executable wouldn't hurt, and everything would just work.

If people don't want to include absolute paths, they don't have to
give one to strip, it seems to me.  Strip preserving what it's given
doesn't take away anyone's choices.

But I admit this isn't the most compelling use case one could imagine.