Re: [RFA] Replace strdup with xstrdup in tic30-dis.c

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 11:26:12AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:

I know BFD intentionally doesn't use the x*() functions. Instead it tries to clean up and return an error indication when there is a malloc() failure.

What of the disassembler though? GDB, which is depending on the disassembler, needs to be able to recover from low memory (aka malloc() failure) conditions.

I OK'd the patch too quickly, then remembered the no xmalloc rule..
Then on grepping through opcodes/*, I saw so many xmalloc and xstrdup
calls that I hardly felt like correcting the patch.  We're no worse
off with an xstrdup call than an unchecked strdup call.  :-(
Perhaphs the coding standard applies to just bfd?

Assuming it does apply to opcodes/, remember, you've got to start somewhere. One good pace to start is to stop the addition of further stray xmalloc() calls.

Andrew