Re: Final separate debug info patch

On 24 Nov 2002, Jim Blandy wrote:

> Just to give some status on this patch:
>
> The patch as posted doesn't properly handle the case where the
> executable file has changed since the last 'run' command, and GDB
> needs to re-read the symbols.  It does get rid of the out-of-date
> separated objfile, but it doesn't read in the new one.  You may have
> said this in one of your earlier posts, but I'll guess now that the
> omission was deliberate: this is kind of a pain to do.

Yes. That was more or less deliberate. My knowledge of gdb was reaching
its limits...

> I think the separated debug info should use the same section offset
> table that its parent objfile does --- that's the table that
> reread_symbols would have used if the debug info weren't separated,
> anyway.  I've got a patch written, but not working, that does this; it
> involved some interface changes to pass the information down to where
> it's needed, so it's larger than one would like.  I'll post it as soon
> as it seems to work; it'll need to be broken into a few separate
> patches before it can really be reviewed and committed.

Cool.

Btw. You saw that uli fixed the strip problem you had, right?

                   alexl@redhat.com    alla@lysator.liu.se
He's a fast talking moralistic firefighter who hides his scarred face behind a
mask. She's a tortured tomboy former first lady fleeing from a Satanic cult.
They fight crime!