Re: [RFA] Replace strdup with xstrdup in tic30-dis.c

Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp@bitrange.com> writes:

> On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Alan Modra wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 03:29:36PM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > > I tend to think that bfd_boolean is better because it makes the code
> > > slightly more self-documenting.  An int variable might hold any value,
> > > but a bfd_boolean variable is clearly intended to hold only a true or
> > > false value.
>
> > > But I'm hardly fanatical about it.
> >
> > Nor am I.  :)  So far, it's two people for "bfd_boolean", one for
> > "int".
>
> One more for "int" here.  I agree that a boolean type has its
> advantages in theory for clarity, but IMO the effects have now
> proved to be a net negative, a maintenance burden.  Let's just
> stick to "int".

I don't agree with this argument.  We've had problems because
`boolean', `true', and `false' are widely used.  In fact, the comment
on those lines in bfd.h is and has been from the start:

/* I'm sure this is going to break something and someone is going to
   force me to change it.  */

We won't have problems with `bfd_boolean'.

Ian