Re: psymtab/symtab error

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:50:36 -0500, Paul Koning <pkoning@equallogic.com> said:

> I've been wading all over the guts of gdb for most of today, trying to
> track down the cause of this message:

> (gdb)  info addr CFreeList<CVolume>::m_base
> Internal: global symbol `_ZN9CFreeListI7CVolumeE6m_baseE' found in iSCSIInit.cpp psymtab but not in symtab.
> _ZN9CFreeListI7CVolumeE6m_baseE may be an inlined function, or may be a template function
> (if a template, try specifying an instantiation: _ZN9CFreeListI7CVolumeE6m_baseE<type>).
> (gdb)  info addr CFreeList<CVolume>::m_base
> Symbol "_ZN9CFreeListI7CVolumeE6m_baseE" is static storage at address 0x4000dcf4.
> (gdb)

> I get this simply by invoking gdb and loading the symbol table of the
> image in question (a large RTOS application).

> I dove deep into the guts of symbol table processing without getting
> particularly enlightened.  As a guess, perhaps the problem is that
> this symbol is entered into the symtab in its friendly form?

I was reading through old saved emails and noticed this; what debug
format are you using?  Because I noticed a few weeks ago that the
DWARF 2 reader puts variables into the psymtab in their mangled form
rather than their demangled form (the latter is what it should do);
for various reasons, I don't expect that to normally cause problems,
but you might have run into a situation where it does matter.

Do you happen to have a small test case for this?  It would be great
if I could reproduce the problem, so I could see if my suspicions are
right or if it's something else unrelated.  Also, if you could file a
PR for it, that would be great.

David Carlton
carlton@math.stanford.edu