Re: Revamped frame chain, useful for PPC?

Andrew,

Yeah, what I did was actually pretty minimal; I just added an mi command that walked the stack and returned frame & pc pairs. It operated outside of the ordinary gdb frame chain. This is inefficient in that we don't get to use ANY of this work if the user asks for something higher up on the stack, but was good enough for our purposes. PB runs the new mi command when it gets a stopped message, and doesn't refetch any stack frames that match the return. Since most of the time people are interested in seeing the stack, but don't really visit anything higher that the last couple of frames, we never end up constructing the real gdb frame chain until something actually changes.

I have been watching your work to provide a better way of doing this, and look forward to being able to use it.

We are in the throes or planning for our next release, which means many meetings, no real work... Once we have decided the big items, I will arrange time to incorporate this (it should be a fairly small piece of work.)

Thanks for pointing this out.

Jim