Re: patch to use target specific .gdbinit file

----- Original Message -----
From: "Felix Lee" <felix.1@canids.net>
To: <gdb@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 5:42 PM
Subject: Re: patch to use target specific .gdbinit file

> "Kris Warkentin" <kewarken@qnx.com>:
> > The following code will allow backend writers to define
> > EXTRA_GDBINIT_FILENAME to be an alternate filename for sourcing on
startup.
> > For example, since we have gdb versions for 5 different CPU targets, we
> > allow users to create a $HOME/.ntoCPU-gdbinit.
>
> 1, I'd rather it be a generalized name, like maybe
> .gdbinit-$TARGET.  making the name something chosen by the
> backend writer feels like it adds unnecessary irregularity.

I don't care about the name that much - the reason we did this was to give
the option to backend writers as to whether they wanted it or not.  We could
do something like define GDBINIT_TARGET_SUFFIX which would just create
.gdbinit-GDBINIT_TARGET_SUFFIX if that's better.

> 2, this is going to make it more awkward to create a single
> gdb that will debug multiple targets.

Is there any sort of TARGET variable that is set at runtime that I could
use?  Then we could just do something like #ifdef ENABLE_EXTRA_GDBINIT and
then it would just construct .gdbinit-$TARGET like you suggested.

I like your suggestion better, the only problem being how we generalize the
filename in a consistent and simple way.  It would suck if you wound up with
.gdbinit-nto-i386-some-stupid-target-stuff as your filename. ;-)  Can you
offer any suggestions?

cheers,

Kris