target_alias macro in configuring

I'm working on bringing our GDB 5.2.1 port forward to the GDB head branch
and I'm having a devil of a time getting the configure to work properly.

One thing I'm seeing is a number of warnings in subdir configuration (like
libiberty, etc.) along the lines of:

configure: warning: target_alias=ntox86: invalid host type

This warning seems to be a catch-all in configure to warn about strange
configure arguments.  I'm just wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to
why the top-level configure is passing this target_alias in without a '-' in
front.

cheers,

Kris