compiling gdb to examine core files from a target(non-native) architecture.

Hello everyone,
I am interested in compiling a version of gdb on a i686-redhat-linux
platform to read a core file dumped on a arm-linux platform. I have tried
making a cross debugger specifying --build=i686-redhat-linux,
--host=i686-redhat-linux, and --target=arm-linux for the configure script. I
have been unable to fool gdb into thinking that its host is a arm-linux
while producing a i686-redhat-linux binary. Has anyone tried this? Is this
possible (with or without messy hacks)? I only want to read a static core
file I do not want to run an executable.

Thanks,
Josh Gopen
Software Engineer
ITT Aerospace/Communications
josh.gopen@itt.com

If this email is not intended for you, or you are not responsible for the
delivery of this message to the addressee, please note that this message may
contain ITT Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you may not
copy or deliver this message to anyone.  You should destroy this message and
kindly notify the sender by reply email.  Information contained in this
message that does not relate to the business of ITT is neither endorsed by
nor attributable to ITT.