Re: regcache (Re: GDB respin)

Andrew Cagney wrote:

I'm about to convert x86-64 target to use regcache, but am not sure what must be done for it. Could someone please briefly explain me what is regcache all about and what must be changed in order to have the target regcache-compilant?

Where previously the code wrote (directly or implicitly) to a global buffer, it how is given an explicit object (the regcache).

You can use any *cooked*{read,write}* function you want in regcache.h. Typically the transformation is very direct: write_register() -> regcache_cooked_write().
What's the difference between cooked and non-cooked function? As far as I noticed, i386 target doesn't use cooked functions at all...

How do I store/read for example a long double, that is passed in two X87 registers? With regbuf it's stored in a place for FP0 and FP0+8 in registers array. Will it come to a single slot of a regcache now?

Michal Ludvig
--
* SuSE CR, s.r.o * mludvig@suse.cz
* (+420) 296.545.373 * http://www.suse.cz