Re: Is stub support for the 's' packet optional or required?

On Feb 17,  9:04pm, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> If GDB implements software single step, then the `s' packet is never
> used.  Consequently, requiring the unconditional implementation of "s"
> makes little sense.

What about the situation where GDB implements software single step AND
the stub implements the 's' packet?  Shouldn't GDB at least attempt to
see if the stub supports the 's' packet before deciding to never send
it?

[For remote MIPS/Linux targets, I've found some cases where GDB's
implementation of software singlestep causes some undesirable behavior
when doing the 'stepi' operation through some code that's hit by a number
of threads.  Yet, when software single step is implemented in the debug
agent (and disabled in GDB), the debugging behavior is much more useful
(and sensible).]

Kevin