solib-search-path not honoured after program start

Here's the problem:

Run a program under gdb and break at main.  If gdb can't find all the shared
libs, it complains about it like so:

Error while mapping shared library sections:
libtestLib_g.so.1: No such file or directory.

So, at main, if I 'info shared', I see something like this:

>From        To                  Syms Read   Shared Object Library
                                            No          libtestLib_g.so.1
0xb0312504  0xb0349b06  Yes         /t/x86/lib/libc.so.2

If I now go and set solib-search-path such that it can find
libtestLib_g.so.1, and type 'shared', it still doesn't find it.

If I restart the program, there is no problem.  For whatever reason, after
the process has started, gdb never tries to find the shlibs again.

I spent some time tracing around but didn't see exactly where this might be
fixable.  Looks like solib_open does the searching but isn't called later
on.  The shared command calls solib_add which doesn't seem to do any
searching on solib_search_path.

Can/should this be fixed?

cheers,

Kris