Re: how to obtain output with debug information in dwarf3 format

At present, there are no gcc plans to have separate support for dwarf2 and
dwarf3.  We are emitting dwarf2 debug info with dwarf3 extensions as necessary,
and assuming that old dwarf2 readers will understand the result and ignore
stuff they don't understand.  This might have to change when we start using
the dwarf3 support to eliminate duplicate header file debug info, but at
present it seems to be working fine.

Since we don't distinguish between dwarf2 and dwarf3 debug info, there is no
option so select between them.  Since we want the output to be readable by
dwarf2 readers, we emit a dwarf2 version number.

Jim