GDB honouring RPATH in binaries.

I've been having a debate with some coworkers about whether or not gdb
should use the rpath in an elf binary to find shared libs if it has been
set.  The runtime loader checks LD_LIBRARY_PATH, RPATH and CS_LIBPATH in
that order and the proposal was that gdb should do the same thing.

The problem I have with this is in the remote case.  This might make perfect
sense on a self-hosted debugger but if targetting a remote machine, the
RPATH might not make any logical mapping onto the host machine's filesystem.
It might be possible to come up with some sort of heuristic using
solib-absolute-prefix as a base but I don't think there's any reliable way
to make use of this info if not self hosted.

Any thoughts?

Kris