Re: command targe child question , help needed!!

Zitat von Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at mvista dot com>:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:02:00AM +0100, msarasa at fh-konstanz dot de wrote:
> >
> > I think this is the right command I have to use in order to connect gdb
> with
> > an external proccess. As said in the help.
> > But , this is my case:
> > I've made a simulator of a whole board with it's processor. I can run it as
> > process , and I want to know a little bit more about how to connect that
> with
> > gdb. In the documentation there's no more said about how does target child
>
> > work , and I would like to know, if it's possible , the way this command
> > works.
> > The format of the packets in this communication, the way I have to use it,
> and
> > how exactly should I modify a program that reads from a simulated UART, to
>
> > take the outputs from the gnu.
> > It's REALLY important for me a little help with this. If I should explain
> more
> > about the simulator or the problem , please tell me!! but answer me
> anyway!!
> >
> > I'm totally stopped at this point.
>
> Target child is what you would use to debug the simulator.  If you
> want to debug the simulated processor, then you probably want to
> support the remote protocol in the simulator and use "target
> remote".
>
> --
> Daniel Jacobowitz
> MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer

This is what I have:
A gnu development that debugs an architecture. That is , gnu that communicates
with a physical external board with a hyperstone E1 chip , via serial link.
I have too a simulator that acts exactly as this board. It reads/writes its
input/output in a simulated UART. I can chage this to reading/writing
elsewhere, but, i don't know exactly how to connect this with the gdb serial
protocol. Should I modify gdb code, or should I use a specific command. I
thought I could use the target child command to tell the gnu to communicate
not to the board but to the board simulator process. But maybe I din't
understand that properly as English is not my languange.
I think , there are two functions called send_pkt and read_pakt (or similar)
that I could modify too to force gnu to read/write in a virtual UART.
But if it's possible I would like to use an option from this target command to
communicate my simulator program with the gdb.

Sorry for my english , I'll hope you could understand all. Thank you very much
for your answer!!!
Best regards! miguel