Couldn't establish connection to remote target

Hi,

I am relatively new to eCos and its tools.

I have a IDT79eb438 board(mips32), my host side is
cygwin in Win2k. I built cross-gdb based on GDB5.3. I
use JTAG-ICE to load RedBoot into RAM and everything
is fine, I am able to see RedBoot prompt on
HyperTerminal through COM1.

I then closed the HyperTerminal and tried to connect
to the target through gdb, I run the following
command,
$mipsisa32-elf-gdb.exe
(gdb) set remotebaud 115200
(gdb) target remote com1

I got,
Remote debugging using com1
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
Couldn't establish connection to remote target
Malformed response to offset query, timeout.

Anyone can give me a hint about what's happening
behind the scene and what could be the problem?

Redboot is compiled with latest ecos from cvs
repository and board support package from IDT, under
source-level debugging support, include GDB stubs in
HAL and include GDB external break support for stubs
are enabled.

thanks

Zi