I/O mechanism in libGDB

Hi,

I found your id from google groups. Thank god i found it.
well... I am required to upgrade gdb implementation 4.17 for zsp

processor to libGDB implementation for GDB 5.2.

I was going through API specification of libGDB in the one of the only

2 documents available on the web.

http://www.cs.utah.edu/dept/old/texinfo/libgdb/libgdb_toc.html#SEC4

I had some queries about the i/o mechanism used in libGDB .

what my understanding is that when for example the GDB gives the

information on the terminal about (say) a recently created break

point, it would have to be parsed by a libGDB API function and give it

to the GUI in a "STANDARD FORMAT" irrespective of the version of GDB

being used.

for this the document

http://www.cs.utah.edu/dept/old/texinfo/libgdb/libgdb_toc.html#SEC4

specifies that a structure of function pointers should be used for

output.

struct gdb_output_vector
{
  /* output */
  void (*put_string) (struct gdb_output_vector *, char * str);
}

I couldn't quiet understand the need for such a complicated mechanism ,

more over I couldn't get the significance of both the input parametres.
actually i didn't get how does one implement the i/o mechanism in the

mentioned way.

can you please help me out with this......any help will be greatly

appreciated.

Thanking in advance

Nimesh Chanchani