Re: break jmisc.main

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:17:03PM -0800, David Carlton wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:36:11 -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at mvista dot com> said:
>
> > Hmm, I like this in principle.  Could it have a more prominent FIXME on
> > it though?
>
> Sure, will do.
>
> > It's really not a good long term solution.  We shouldn't need both
> > demangled copies... or if we do, then perhaps both should be
> > associated with the minsym.
>
> Well, this would be another argument in favor of coalescing minimal
> symbols and partial symbols (and possibly even regular symbols) into a
> single data structure: it might make it a possible to update incorrect
> information like this.

Yes, I agree that this is the way to go.  Particularly, once we've read
a symtab in we should never need the corresponding psymtab again.  Of
course, there are more partial symbols than minimal symbols; and
symbols take more memory than partial symbols.  So it's not trivial.

By the way, I noticed something very interesting today.  SGI apparently
had DWARF-2 extensions including a .debug_typenames section (and var,
func, weak names) to expand upon the concept of .debug_pubnames.  We
could make GCC generate those and then use them to build psymtabs, I
bet.  That would speed up load time a lot.

Oh well, something else for the List.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz