Re: frame->unwind->this_base()

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:56:40AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> >>(gdb) info frame
> >>
> >>will display the correct value.
> >

> >What does "correct" mean though?
>
> Display the frame's `virtual base pointer'.

> >>Where, apart from `info frame', and variable evaluation, is it correct
> >>for GDB to use the frame base?
> >

> >I'm sorry, but I just don't understand what you're asking.  We use the
> >frame base all over.
> >
> >The current frame base (i.e. id.base) is produced by target specific
> >code - often via prologue analysis; on x86-64 via CFI; etc.
>
> Er,
>
> >GDB's frame code also makes available the get_frame_base() method. While
> >the default implementation returns get_frame_id().base, I think there is
> >going to need to be a per-frame frame->unwind->this_base method.
>
> get_frame_base() returns ->frame and NOT ->id.base.

OK, I'm definitely going around in confused little circles.  Don't the
two statements above disagree?  The current get_frame_base does return
->frame but you also say above that get_frame_base should return
get_frame_id().base.

Conceptually, are frame->frame and frame->id.base supposed to be the
same?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz