Re: gdbserver implementation

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 03:17:20PM -0400, Kris Warkentin wrote:
> I'm thinking about doing some work on making gdbserver work on QNX Neutrino.
> I'd love to RTFM on how to do that but so far I'm not finding it.  Is there
> an FM or do I have to RTFC?

Nope, no FM to speak of.

> I already have gdb running on Neutrino using our procfs interface so I
> suspect that a large part of the work has been done for me there.  I had
> this fantasy that gdbserver would just use the native files for a target and
> take what functionality it needed from there but that doesn't seem to be the
> case.  I guess the dependencies would make it too big that way.
>
> Perhaps someone can share some advice, point to a link or at least suggest
> which header to look at first?

I tried to make it use the native files.  It would have required
breaking the native files into more pieces, and turned out to be a bit
too fragile; so instead it was separated out.

The first thing to be careful of is the dead code in the gdbserver
directory.  I'll whack it as soon as I get a chance, I've been meaning
to for a while.  Right now all the low-* files are dead.

After that, well, there's the beginnings of a target abstraction layer
but it suffers from a lack of targets.  Feel free to change anything
you want outside of the platform-specific code if you think it's an
improvement, or drop me a line if there's something you want it to do.

I haven't had a lot of time for gdbserver recently, but I still have
hopes of making it do things like support limited file transfer/daemon
mode....  Not enough round tuits.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz