Re: long long considered harmful?

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 02:41:51PM -0400, Kris Warkentin wrote:

> > > Can you point to an example of how this is done?
> >
> > Check out floatformat_to_doublest.  You may not even need it if you
> > only pass the data to supply_register...
>
> Exactly.  All we do is throw the bits around to supply register.  I'm just
> looking for a way to make the structures the right size without being
> completely ugly.

If you want structures to be a particular size, you have to either
construct them using the type machinery or else just treat them as a
list of offsets and a size (all ints).  There's really nothing else
portable.  C'mon, I'll introduce you to a 32-bit-char host for fun and
see how you like it.

> Well, at the moment, the only host we build gdb for is i386 and Sparc
> (Neutrino, Solaris and Win32) but conceivably we might want to build a gdb
> for Neutrino on ppc or mips or some such.  Once again, as far as gdb is
> concerned, none of it really matters because this is just data coming over
> the wire (or from a system call) and all it needs to know is which offset
> into the structure to call supply_register on.

Record only the offsets, then.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz