Re: breakpoints in constructors

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 04:45:06PM -0400, Paul Koning wrote:

>  Daniel> On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 01:04:46PM -0700, David Carlton
>  Daniel> wrote:
>  >> I might have some time over the next few weeks (/months) to work
>  >> on the "breakpoints in constructors" issue.  Daniel: clearly
>  >> you've thought about this already, so if you happen to have time
>  >> to do a bit of a brain dump on the issue at some point, I'd
>  >> appreciate it.
>
>  Daniel> Sure.  First of all, a rough overview of the problem; might
>  Daniel> as well keep everything in one place.
>
>  Daniel> With the new GCC 3.x multi-vendor C++ ABI, constructors are
>  Daniel> implemented as multiple functions: C1, the complete object
>  Daniel> constructor [in-charge] C2, the base object constructor
>  Daniel> [not-in-charge] C3, the allocating constructor [not currently
>  Daniel> used]
>
>  Daniel> Similarly for destructors - most of the rest of this message
>  Daniel> applies to destructors too.  The base constructor is
>  Daniel> generally called for the base objects of a derived class,
>  Daniel> esp. with virtual inheritance; it's been a while since I
>  Daniel> looked at exactly when.
>
>  Daniel> GCC has chosen to implement this by duplicating the function,
>  Daniel> including any user-provided code and any compiler-added code.
>  Daniel> A better implementation would have one copy and labels for
>  Daniel> multiple entry points, on systems where that is supported;
>  Daniel> that's temporarily tabled pending a better description of the
>  Daniel> GCC tree structure to describe multiple entry points.
>
> I looked at a few examples to see how they differ.  Didn't see any
> where the two constructors that gcc generates differ at all.  Ditto
> for the two (in charge vs. not in charge) destructors.
>
> The "deleting" constructor does what the name suggests, it frees the
> item at the end.  Since the difference is at the end, that doesn't
> sound like a case where multiple entry points can help.
>
> Couldn't one constructor/destructor call another, so that there one
> "bottom level" constructor or destructor where all three variants
> eventually end up?  Then that would be the one you'd want to match
> when you set a breakpoint by name or by line.
>
> The only drawback I can see is that you'd see an extraneous frame in
> the callstack.

Wow, Paul, you're really on top of this one.  Yes, that's what Apple
implemented, and I'm looking over their patches right now :)  There are
some quirks in the implementation which are throwing me for a loop.

The constructors will differ in some cases involving virtual bases;
that's what they're for.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz