Re: Deprecate dwarf and mdebug support, delete nlm?

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 01:30 PM, Andrew Cagney wrote:

I don't think its a fair measure to equate number of patches with value.

The number of patches does at least hint at the level of activity. As for value, part of a value judgment is determining the cost.

I've still got users who are using commercial compilers that emit dwarf1 and
it would be a great loss to these users if dwarf1 went away.

Significant structural change, such as adding support for multiple address spaces, moves more rapidly when there are fewer debug readers to content with.

I think the real problem isn't the number of debug readers, but in the particular implementations of these two debug readers. IE The problem with these two debug readers is precisely that *because* nobody has ever maintained or updated them, anyone wanting to improve our debug reading in general by changing structures or whatnot, has to contend with the old, obsolete, and sometimes non-existent methods these 2 readers use to build the various data structures gdb uses.
Had they kept up with the passage of time, i don't think we'd be considering obsoleting them, because they wouldn't be in the way. They are so far past bit-rotted that they have evolved into their own obscure species.

These users potential loss is someone elses potential gain. These users can also continue to use an existing GDB.

As someone (michael?) suggested, can these users move to Free compilers?
Nope, it was me who made the suggestion.
The other possibility I mentioned is that the vendor in question will wake up and implement a debug format from the past decade (DWARF 2.0 standard was published July 27th, 1993).