Re: Deprecate dwarf and mdebug support, delete nlm?

I think the gdbserve is a candidate for deletion. It is only needed for netware 3.11 and prevents building gdb with netware support. I always have to remove that dir in the configure targets file.
My gdb2ndi works with netware 4.11 also (load rdebug.nlm). If someone needs the gdbserve for 3.11, it can be used from older versions of gdb. (It is only a simple support for the gdb remote protocol)

But please please *do not remove* the netware support from gdb. It is the only way to debug FreePascal nlm's.
It is further needed for debugging nlms generated by gcc. Bernd Herd has done a great job in porting gcc with c++ support to netware and it would be bad if we loose the debugging support as we now have a great alternative c/c++ compiler for netware.

Günter Knauf wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Ok, so nlm/ is a candidate (but it isn't hurting anyone, and

I cant believe that you all here are talking about a ./nlm subdir of 86.3kB while the whole gdb source is more than 14MB !! And that all at times where download bandwidth isnt an issue anymore!

the alternative is written in FreePascal :-).

that's only true for NetWare 5.1 and 6, but with previous versions we still need the gdbserver!

Andrew

removing 86.3kB isnt worth to talk about! Just my 2 ct.

but if you are searching for the last few bytes for deleting, just take 10,9kB and remove ./nlm/ppc.h and ./nlm/ppc.c because I dont know of any NetWare version which runs on PPC; all versions for which gdbserver is of interest run on i386!

thanks, Guenter.