DEPRECATED_REGISTER_BYTES and remote targets

Hi,

In trying to remove deprecated gdbarch methods from the avr port, I've
got a problem with 'g' packets.

In remote_fetch_registers(), the for loop that converts the target hex
reply to gdb native int uses rs->sizeof_g_packet as the loop stop
condition.

Digging further, I see in init_remote_state() that the sizeof_g_packet
field is set to DEPRECATED_REGISTER_BYTES, but since I've removed it,
sizeof_g_packet is set to zero.

Thus, my problem is that the target reply is never converted to an
integer and gdb reports that the PC is 0x30303030 instead of 0x0. Fun,
no?

So, should I still set the DEPRECATED_REGISTER_BYTES method or is this
a bug in init_remote_state()?

Ted Roth