Re: Where do I put ncurses for ARM cross-compilation?

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 20:10, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> If that's where libc.a is, it should work.  Try sticking -v options
> on the gcc command line to see what -L paths it is giving ld.

Hi Daniel,

It turns out that it does work if the ncurses lib is in:
/usr/local/armbe/arm-linux/lib/

The problem was that "configure" was caching the results of its probing
somewhere and didn't pick up that that library was now available.

After poking at it all day today I think I finally have a working copy
of gdb.  (YAY!)  But there are some issues.

My eventual command line was this monstrosity:

CC_FOR_BUILD=gcc CFLAGS_FOR_BUILD= CC=/usr/local/armbe/bin/arm-linux-gcc
CFLAGS=-mbig-endian ../configure --host=arm-unknown-linux
--prefix=/usr/local/armbe --build=i386-gnu-linux > configure.out 2>&1

Does that look reasonable?  Trying to set CFLAGS_FOR_BUILD like that
didn't seem to work, and I had to go in and manually edit the Makefile
to set it to nothing, otherwise it picked up CFLAGS, which was meant for
the host only.  In addition, CFLAGS didn't seem to be passed in to the
Makefile for gdbserver, so once again, I went in manually and added
-mbig-endian to its CFLAGS.

I also had to make sure that /usr/local/armbe/bin/ was in my path so
that the process could find all the other arm compilation tools
(arm-linux-ar,etc.)  Is there a way to specify this in the compile
command?  Are there compiler switches that would help out here?

Ben