why some functions compiled with debug info and some are not ?

Hi all,

I'm not sure why my programme has partial debug info.
I have one programme in the same single file.simple prog
with main calling some functions lets say x y and z.
I'm able to set breakpoint at main but when i do step
command its don't step in, reason is main has no line nos,
but its not same with other functions.can anybody tell
me why main has no line nos/debug info ?
Although i'm not using any optimisation and tried -gl flag
also no result.
Another issue is next command is behaving same as step command.
can anybody tell me why ?

My target:
uclinux, MIPS

Regards,