Re: GDB inferior PID ?

Bonjour

Is there a way to get "reliably" the inferior PID ?

Do you want the theory, or the reality :-(

Scenario, Eclipse/CDT debugger:

I'm using gdb/mi and to separate inferior output from the MI protocol we use gdb --tty=...

The downside interrupting the inferior is now messy business
depending on the platfrom.  Totally broken on Solaris, partially
working on GNU/Linux and windows.

I've already drop a PR on the solaris platform.

Solution:

I'm doing some ugly hack/parsing with
(gdb) info program

And retrieving the inferior pid to drop a SIGINT or whatever
it is call on windows(CTRL-BREAK ?).

Anyone having something more elegant/reliable?

Why is the pid(or whatever the host consider to be the "pid") available?
I undestand that it does not apply to remote/serial debugging.

The theory is that GDB is in async mode and able to accept things like an interrupt at any time. GDB then passes the interrupt down to the target - very like GDB already does for remote targets.

You could look at the remote.c code at how it handles interrupts - send the interrupt to GDB and then have it dispatch it.

The other is a command to let you do the querying your doing now.

Andrew