Re: Why does solib_open do what it does?

Kevin Buettner wrote:
On Jun 17, 4:15pm, Kris Warkentin wrote:

That's what I was thinking too. A customer reported that when they

don't

set solib-search-path, all of a sudden gdb isn't finding solibs that

used to

be found in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

It sounds to me like the solibs in question were actually being found via solib-search-path, not LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I think the problem with using LD_LIBRARY_PATH is that the paths
won't be correct without some sort of adjustment.  I.e, the paths
provided by LD_LIBRARY_PATH are target filesystem paths, not host
paths.

Well, I've always considered searching LD_LIBRARY_PATH at all to be wrong since the only util that should be concerned with that is the runtime loader. Ideally, ld should be filling in the path where it found the lib which can then be used with solib-absolute-prefix or some such.

Right.

I think Michael added the searches on $PATH and $LD_LIBRARY_PATH for
native ports, but it's not clear to me that these searches are actually
needed.

Michael, any comments?

I don't remember. ;-(
I'll just remark that ld puts full paths in for some libs, and not for others.
That's why there are two variables, SOLIB-SEARCH-PATH and SOLIB-ABSOLUTE-PREFIX. One is the prefix that goes before everything
(even rooted filespecs), and the other is the additional prefix that
goes before an un-rooted filespec.