Re: [toplevel] Gas install name problem from autoconf 2.5x

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> writes:

> I've gotten a report that gas now installs after a native build as
> $(target_alias)-as.  This is presumably the one consequence of autoconf
> 2.5x's "specify absolutely nothing on the command line unless absolutely
> necessary" policy.
>
> I see two basic choices:
>   - Override AC_CANONICAL_TARGET.
>   - Always pass down --program-transform-name from the top level.
>
> I think the latter is the way to go.  Any other opinions?

Is this yet another quiet autoconf change?  Formerly,
program_transform_name didn't do anything in the case where host_alias
and target_alias were the same.

I see that now it does something whenever target_alias is set.  I
can't see any documentation about this behaviour, but then the old
behaviour probably wasn't documented either.

I guess my question is: why is --target being passed down from the top
level in the native case?  I thought part of the autoconf conversion
was that the top level had to stop passing down --target all the time.

Anyhow, I think it would be moderately useful if `make install' worked
correctly in the gas subdirectory.  I don't know what is required to
make that happen.

Ian