Re: process attaching gdb to itself

Hello,

  char cmd [256];
  sprintf (cmd, "gdb attach %d", getpid ());
  system (cmd);

'system' waits for the program that it calls to finish.
Thus, your program is waiting for gdb to finish before it
does anything.

Try the appended program which uses raw fork/exec.
It works for me on red hat linux 8, native i686-pc-linux-gnu.

If you try to do this in production code then you are likely
to run into a blizzard of race conditions, error cases,
and signal handling problems.  If you are doing this as a learning
experience, that's great -- read up on 'man fork' and
'man execlp', and check out a book on Linux systems programming.

Is the kernel Linux? JeffJ and I just discovered that:

$ sleep 1000
^Z
PID 1234 suspended
$ gdb sleep 1234
(gdb)

works on BSD but fails on GNU/Linux. When doing an attach, BSD always generates something for wait4 to consume. GNU/Linux does not, leaving GDB stuck in wait4 :-(

Andrew