Re: Tracepoint support in Cygnus GDB ?

> Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:45:43 -0400
> From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec@shout.net>
>
> You can control directly the maintainer resources that you contribute.
> If someone is listed as a maintainer you can ask them to perform the
> functions of their maintainership (review your patches).  You can nag
> people, or inspire people, to do things that you think are important.
> But we don't take orders from a centralized leader.

I agree (how could I disagree? how could someone who've read my
messages think I'd disagree?).  I don't think my messages in this
discussion were trying to do anything but ask, inspire and perhaps
nag.

However, there's something called leadership that, if applied with the
kind of wisdom that I so cherish in the GDB maintenance team, tends to
guide the troops even if there are no orders and no centralized
control.

If the leaders state specific goals, and do that convincingly, the
other contributors will most probably follow suit.  At least that's
my experience.

> I self-generated these goals.  I'm open to input on them, but basically,
> you would have a hard time convincing me to change my overall philosophy
> from my vision (QA) to your vision (user-level features).

I hope you will agree that a program exists to provide user-level
features, not to satisfy QA.  QA is a means; I hope there's ends to
which the means exists.