Re: [RFC] Core files and the architecture vector

I'll respond to the rest of your message later but...

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 12:07:32AM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> Let me elaborate on the second point.  When a 32-bit executable
> running on FreeBSD/amd64 or GNU/Linux x86-64 dumps, it produces an
> 64-bit ELF core file.  To be able to make any sense out of this core
> file, we'll need the 64-bit register set definitions that are provided
> by the regset_from_core_section method from the 64-bit architecture

I still don't think this bit makes much sense.  The process sees only
32-bit registers; the core should contain only 32-bit registers.
Intuitively at least.  On the other hand, on MIPS64 (and x86-64?) a
32-bit process can actually access 64-bit registers.  It's forbidden to
and the context switching won't cope right, but it can be done anyway.

Do we see 32-bit or 64-bit registers from ptrace when debugging such a
process?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz