Re: [RFC] Core files and the architecture vector

   Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 18:26:22 -0400
   From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>

   I'll respond to the rest of your message later but...

   On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 12:07:32AM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
   > Let me elaborate on the second point.  When a 32-bit executable
   > running on FreeBSD/amd64 or GNU/Linux x86-64 dumps, it produces an
   > 64-bit ELF core file.  To be able to make any sense out of this core
   > file, we'll need the 64-bit register set definitions that are provided
   > by the regset_from_core_section method from the 64-bit architecture

   I still don't think this bit makes much sense.  The process sees only
   32-bit registers; the core should contain only 32-bit registers.

Well, it's not for me to decide what how the various OSes dump core
:-(.

Anyway even for 32-bit only stuff the core file architecture and
executable architecture might differ.  When running a GNU/Linux i386
binary on FreeBSD/i386, it produces a FreeBSD/i386 corefile.

   Do we see 32-bit or 64-bit registers from ptrace when debugging such a
   process?

At least on FreeBSD/amd64 you see the 64-bit register with ptrace.

Mark